Learn This First:
Creating an event in CT Live is a simple and intuitive process, but there are some parts that may require a bit of explanation. This section will walk you through each step of Event Creation, explain some of the more abstract concepts, and offer tips on the process. To Create a New Event click +New Event from the My Events page. This will launch the Create Event window.
Event Organizer (Step 1)
The first step of the Event creation process is selecting an Event Organizer to which to assign the event, or entering a new Event Organizer’s information.
Select an Event Organizer, and the rest of the information for that organizer will auto-populate. If necessary, enter any additional information, then click Continue.
You can also choose to create a new Event Organizer if the desired Organizer is not yet entered in the system.
You can only add a new Event Organizer if you have Event Director Access to another Event. If you have only Timer Role access, it is important to remember that you must be granted access to Organizations’ events by ChronoTrack Staff or a User within that Organization with ‘Can Admin Users’ role permissions.
To Add a New Event Organizer:
Select the Create New option from the dropdown, and then fill in the appropriate information.
The asterisked items below are required.
- Org Name* – the full, formal name of the organization. (Example: The Heart Foundation)
- Org Email* – the e-mail by which Athletes and Support Staff would contact the organization.
- Org Phone* – the phone number by which to contact the organization.
- Org URL – the organization’s website address.
- Org Location – the organization’s office location.
- Country* – the country where the organization is based.
- Postal Code* – the postal code for the organization’s location.
- State – the state where the organization is based. (If a US postal code is provided, this will auto-fill)
- City – the city where the organization is based. (If a US postal code is provided, this will auto-fill)
- Additional Org Info - optional field that's useful for citing certain applicable VAT/tax information
- Time Zone – the time zone of the Organization’s office location.
When finished, click Continue.
Upon completion of the entire Event Creation form, a new Organizer entry will be saved to the system and can thereafter be selected from the dropdown for any future events.
Basic Properties (Step 2)
The Basic Properties step is where your event begins to take shape. From here, you will specify the Event’s official name, and start and end times.
The entries on this page consist of:
- Official Name – the name by which you would like your event to be known.
- Informal Name – a shorter, more informal event “nickname”.
- Timing Protocol – you may select between ChronoTrack, Ipico, Mylaps, or Winning Time This feature is applicable if you are intending to use CT Live only for registration.
- Start Time – the start date and time at which the event will officially start.
- End Time – the end date and time at which the event will officially end.
- Date Format - the format of the dates as displayed on the Event Dashboard, registration form, results page, and anywhere else dates are displayed in CT Live's internal and external pages for the event.
If you change the Event's Date Format after creating the event, you will need to then separately change the date format of any Date type Custom Questions you had made before you changed the date.
For Start and End Dates, you can manually type in dates in MM/DD/YYYY format, or click the calendar icon to the right of the date entry field and click on the desired date.
When you have entered all necessary information, click Continue.
Event Location (Step 3)
In this step, specify the location of your event, including a name (Example: Central Park) and the address at which the event will take place.
Fees and Taxes (Step 4)
The Fees and Taxes section is where you select the Currency type for your event and enter any tax information.
What About VAT and Sales Tax?
If you are in the EU...
You will be required to supply your Tax ID for VAT tax and the percentage tax percentage for the Registration Choices and the CT Live Service Fee for the country in which your event will take place before you can open Registration. VAT tax will be applied to all registrations at the designated percentage(s), and reflected in the pricing shown to athletes.
A Service Fee Tax Rate is NOT required if the Organizer will be paying for the CT Live Service Fee. For questions about changing your event's Fee Allocation between the Athlete (default) and the Event, contact your Account Manager or Regional Sales Manager. For a full FAQ regarding VAT, click HERE.
Once you’re done creating your event, any Custom Product Questions you create will also require you to enter a VAT percentage. This is because VAT percentages apply differently depending on the type of goods/services being offered. For more on Custom Product Questions, click HERE.
No VAT information is required if you don’t intend to use CT Live Registration. Events taking place in non-VAT countries are not ever required to enter tax information.
ChronoTrack Registration has a variety of options that you must contact a Sales representative to discuss such as international currencies and ACH payments. For more information, e-mail email@example.com or call (812) 423-7800 x7008.
If you are in the US...
You do not need to supply a Tax ID or percentage information. Sales Tax will automatically be applied appropriately based on State and Region standards.
For a full FAQ concerning Sales Tax (US Only) click HERE.
When finished with your changes, click Continue.
Online and Onsite Payees (Steps 5 and 6)
The next two steps allow you to select an existing Payee for Online and Onsite Registration revenue or create new ones.
Payee information determines how and where ChronoTrack should send weekly checks from Registration revenue for the event. If you're creating a new Organizer, you will also be required to add a new Payee.
Online and Onsite Payees are now set separately because we use different payment processors for each to ensure PCI compliance.
When you create a new Payee you can specify:
- Check Payable – who checks are to be made out to.
- Payee – who checks should be sent to.
- Payee Location Information – specify that the mailing address for payments is the same as the Organizer address. You can click the Copy Organizer Location link to auto-fill the address portion.
Fill in all required fields and click Continue.
Find a Timer (Step 7)
On this page, you can select the Timer for the event. If you don't already have access to select a Timer Organization in CT Live, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how.
Event Landing Page (Step 8)
On this step, CT Live will automatically search the Athlinks database for Master Events that match the Official Name you entered in Step 4. This is an excellent way to streamline the process of linking yearly events to a corresponding Athlinks Master event. When you select a corresponding Master event in this step, CT Live and Athlinks will automatically create a new Event under that Master AND automatically link any Races you add to your CT Live event after the event is created. This in turn will allow you to publish your results to Athlinks once they have been generated. Additionally, this will help to get your Event's Landing Page up and running and populated with the Event Excerpt you'll add in step 8.
For new Events or events that do not recur yearly, you can still use the "I do not see existing events that should be linked" bubble to have CT Live automatically create an Athlinks event AND master event.
Select the Athlinks Master event that matches your CT Live Event, then click Continue. Or, if the Event doesn't exist in Athlinks, select the "I do not see..." option and click Continue.
ChronoTrack Live Services (Step 9)
In this step, you will specify the CT Live Services you will be employing for the event, the number of expected entries, and the previous year’s corresponding event (if applicable).
Specifying a number of Expected Entries does not limit the number of athletes who may participate in the event.
The CT Live Services You May Employ Are:
- Online Registration – give athletes the ability to register for your event via a computer or mobile device.
- On-Site Registration – enables race day on-site registration options.
- Timing – enables timing functionality.
- Athlete Updates – enables athlete update options on registration forms.
- Photography – enables the use of event photos and adds the Photos tab to online results.
- Video – enables the use of event videos and adds the Video tab to online results.
- Race Change - enables you to set up Race Change and Deferral fees for athletes switching between races within your event, or deferring their registration to another event. (For more on this, click HERE)
- Groups - groups should not be confused with teams. Teams are a method of scoring a number of people together whereas groups relate only to registration. Groups allow you to associate individuals from different running clubs, families, etc without placing them on a team. In the future, we will have group pricing options as well.
- Custom Reg Forms - This allows you to generate and publish multiple different Registration Forms with unique graphics, Custom Questions, and pricing. See a full guide HERE.
- Custom Fees - allows you to add additional fees to each registration. Not available for VAT countries. For a look at how to use Custom Fees, click HERE.
When you have finished entering information, click Continue.
Event Resources (Step 10)
The Event Resources step allows you to specify an Event Site URL, an event Facebook Page, and an Event Excerpt for your event. Event Site URL and Event Excerpt are required to proceed.
The Event Excerpt is used as an overall description of your event, and it is also used in populating your Event Landing Page's description field. If you intend to use our Event Landing Page for your event, please be as thorough as you can in providing brief but thorough general information about your event. This is a great place to tell your event's story!
When you have entered all necessary information, click Complete & Save.
Upon completion of the Event Creation form, you will be directed to the Event Page, and the Create Race window will automatically appear, prompting you to create a race for the event. Once you have created a race, you will be able to view and edit the various aspects of the Event.