We strongly suggest either working closely with your timer to set up races, or simply allow the Timer to set up any necessary races themselves.
Every Event must have at least one Race. Registration and Scoring are built around the Race, so nothing can be done with Registration or Scoring until at least one Race has been created.
Each Event may have multiple Races, like a Half Marathon, 10k, and 5k. Each of those races might have variations in pricing, team policies, etc. The attributes fall under what we call Registration Choices. After you set up your races, you can set these options up under Registration > Choices.
You may want to set up two races of the same distance if you are having both a Half Marathon and Half Marathon Relay at your event, for example. While both of these are the same distance, if you want to have the results of each of these scored and shown separately, you should create them as separate races.
Creating a Race
If you just created a new Event, the Create Race window will appear as soon as you finish making the Event. If you've already made a Race or closed the Create Race window, you can click the +Add Race button on the Event tab.
- Enter a Race Name, then select a Race Type. There are 7 selectable race types: Running, Biking, Swimming, Multisport, Obstacle, Other, and Untimed. You should also select a Race Subtype. This supplies a more specific classification to your race which paves the way for closer integration with Athlinks. For Swimming and Obstacle race types, there are currently no associated Subtypes.
- Select a Course Distance type and enter a number value. Course distance types include Kilometers, Miles, Meters, Yards, and Feet. Course distance defaults to Kilometers.
- Selecting Multisport from the Race Type dropdown reveals the Leg Distance panel. This allows you to specify the types of sports involved with the race and the distance for each. The multisport feature also automatically configures the Course with Timing Points and Intervals. (For information on Timing Points and Intervals, see Course Configuration). You can add additional legs by clicking the + Add Another link below the Leg Distance pane.
- Next, you can specify the number of Max Entrants. If you are only able to include a certain number of athletes in a given race, this is a useful tool for limiting entries. Once the limit is reached, registration will automatically close. You can leave this blank if you don't want to enforce a limit.
- Set the Planned Start time and Planned End time for the race. These choices default to the date and time of the Event Start and End.
- You can also choose whether or not your Race Allows Teams. Selecting Yes enables a variety of team-related features. (For more on teams, see Athletes & Teams)
- Allow Penalties is turned on by default for Multi-Sport races, but you can also turn it on for other races as well. This will show the Penalties sub-tab of the Scoring tab. This is enabled by default for Multisport Races and cannot be disabled.
- Next, you can specify an Age Ref Time. This is used to calculate the participant’s race age as of the Event date. This setting defaults to the time and date of the event start.
- Display Race within Online Results enables or disables the ability for athletes to view results for the race when viewing Online Results. This is useful for untimed races such as Fun Runs.
- Enable Athlete Update Sign Up adds the Athlete Update opt-in feature to the registration forms. For more on this, click HERE.
- When finished with your settings, click Save & Close.
- On the next step, you'll normally see only the "Create New" option. So just click Complete & Save to have the new Race copied over to Athlinks automatically.
The page will refresh, and your race will be displayed on the main Event tab as shown below. You can click on the race to edit its settings. You may notice that the Actual Start, Gun Start, Default Bracket and, Overall Ranking fields now appear. These are useful after tag data has been streamed.
You can have up to 6 races for your event. If you find it necessary to have more than 6 races, contact your Regional Sales Manager or ChronoTrack Support.