- Log into your Google Tag Manager account.
- Click Create New Tag.
- Select Google Analytics as the Product type (or use your preferred analytics software)
- Select Universal Analytics
Configure the Tag
- Enter your Google Analytics Key (found under Admin > Tracking Info > Tracking)
- Select Event as the Track Type.
- The Category and Action fields are required. The Category should be a type of event that happens often. For example: Email Campaign
- The Action should be VERY specific. For Example: 'Return to Registration from Campaign DiscountCode33'
- Click Continue.
Next you should set Triggers. You can use more than one trigger per tag.
The example below shows a Trigger that will track traffic from an e-mail campaign. The Tag will post to Google Analytics every time there is a page view where the URL ends with “ utm_campaign=retention&utm_medium=email&utm_source=auto-‐claim”
To see how to view your tracked Events, click HERE